Friday, July 29, 2011

Super Glue vs Teflon

On Tuesday I changed my Facebook status to:  I just poured superglue into a non-stick pan. Someone's going to be wrong.

I had no idea people would think I was serious.  Even my Mom asked why I was putting super glue in a pan. So after lots of questions and posts I determined I HAD to actually do this as a science experiment.

If you want to place bets on who wins - now is the time.






We begin with a simple Teflon Non-Stick fying pan.



And a package of The Original Super Glue


Open the bottle of Super Glue - we all know it takes a safety pin to actually open the bottle.

Now drop some Super Glue into the Teflon Non-Stick Pan. Sorry for the blurry photo, it's the best I could get.


Now we have a puddle of glue in the middle of the pan.

Now we just need to wait a couple minutes to see which one wins!

Now let's check the pan


There, we have the winner!  The super glue is still running around inside the pan, sticking to nothing!

Here's the final picture of the Teflon still clean with NO super glue to be found anywhere!

I can confirm that the Super Glue stuck to both the paper towel and my thumb while it was being cleaned off the pan.

So there's your winner - TEFLON Non-Stick pan!

Thanks to Arianna for being an awesome assistant.

3 comments:

  1. Totally cool - and I was surprised by the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I thought Super Glue would be the clear winner but I was wrong. Glad I didn't make any bets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learn your practical chemistry kids. Teflon is the slipperiest substance on Earth. The strongest glue you buy is JB Weld, because it turns into metal. And gunpowder is 75% Coal, 15% Sulfur and 10% Salt.

    ReplyDelete