Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Can you read a MRI?

I had my 4 month MRI last Thursday.  MRI day isn't so bad now that I'm taking drugs.  Actually it's kind of fun because I really don't care, I'm relaxed and would like to take a nap.  If the darn machine wasn't so loud I would go to sleep.  Anyway I had the test on Thursday and went back to Duke on Monday.

I have the MRIs at Wake Med so that all the files are in the same location.  That means I get a prescription for the test, schedule it and then show up with the prescription.  The prescription details how they want the information to be returned to the Doctor.  Mostly in CD form which means I know have a copy of every MRI I've had!

This doesn't sound to interesting until you realize there is also a program on the CD so that you can view the pictures from the MRI.  I've become very adept at reading those disc.  It's not too hard.  You can tell all the details, eyes, ears, nose and BRAIN.  You can see where the big freaking whole is where the tumor used to be.  It's easy to spot the portions that are "highlighted" where cells remain.

All that means is that you can look at the MRI from last time and compare to the one from this time and literally see that there have been no changes.  Totally cool.

So when I'm sitting in the office waiting for Dr. Friedman to come up and talk to me after reviewing the MRI, I'm not totally freaking out because I know there hasn't been any changes.

Mom drove me this trip so I had to call Ronnie when I got out.  He wanted to know if I'd Dr. Friedman that I'll already read the MRI and knew I was all good.  I figured he was the expert and let him do the official report!

No comments:

Post a Comment